Digging Press LLC is an independent publisher. We publish the literary and arts journal, Digging Through The Fat, and a chapbook series. We also produce a podcast and host a reading series. As an organization for cultural omnivores, we aim to nurture experimentation in the arts and encourage broad-mindedness and cultural inclusion.
We welcome submissions from ALL. We especially want to encourage more submissions from women and non-binary writers, writers of color, and the LGBTQIA community. Help Digging Through The Fat's community grow in diversity and beauty!
Email submissions are not acceptable.
Check out our editor's interview with Six Questions For...here.
Please note: we offer free U.S.-only shipping with chapbook purchases through Submittable. International orders for our chapbooks can only be fulfilled at our shop.
Artist Spotlight: Aug 1 - Aug 31 Free
Digging Press Chapbook Prize: September 1 – November 15 $15 Fee
Community: December 1 - December 31 Free
Short Stories: January 15 - February 28, 2021 Free
Poetry: March 1 - April 15, 2021 Free
Summer Flash Fiction Contest: April 1 - May 31 $5 Fee
The Digging Press Chapbook Competition is open for submissions once a year for fiction, poetry, or hybrid (multi-genre) manuscripts. We seek innovative manuscripts that are inventively personal and richly imagined. We are inspired by the works of Clarice Lispector, Augusto Monterroso, Lynne Tillman, Óscar Esquivias, Giannina Braschi, Italo Calvino, Lydia Davis, Zakaria Tamer, Gloria Evangelina Anzaldúa, Sonia Sanchez, Ocean Vuong, Sam Sax, Claudia Rankine, Eileen Myles...
We are passionate about presenting a unique book design and offering editorial support. We aim to produce beautiful and artistic books. Selected manuscripts have a small print-run (100 copies), and authors receive 20 copies plus a $250 payment. Authors retain all rights to their material within the author's chapbook.
Open Submission Period:
September 1 – November 15
The submission/reading fee is $15 per submission. Please note that fees offset the cost of publishing and promoting the winning chapbook. A small portion also helps cover our Submittable hosting fees. We also rely on donations and purchases to support our chapbook series. If you would like to donate $15 to cover the cost of a fellow writer, Donate Here to our Digging Press Fund.
Digging Press, LLC is an independent publisher. We publish the literary and arts journal, Digging Through The Fat, and a chapbook series. As a micro-press and journal for cultural omnivores, we aim to nurture experimentation in the arts and encourage broad-mindedness and cultural inclusion. Read our interview at Six Questions to learn more.-We only accept manuscripts between 16 and 40 pages via Submittable. Please read the following carefully:
- Our chapbooks are printed softcover books with a trim size of 4.25" wide x 6.75" high. Each book page fits approximately 225-230 words; each line fits approximately 45-48 characters across, including spaces, with 26-28 lines to a page. This format is non-negotiable.
- Respect our blind submission policy. The manuscript must be free of any identity-revealing information, including in the name of your file or in the “title” field in Submittable. Submissions that do not respect this policy will be automatically declined.
- Page limit: 16 to 40 pages. Please use a readable font in 12-point. Times New Roman or its equivalent is recommended. Manuscripts should be paginated (and double-spaced for fiction), not including front and back matter (table of contents, title page, etc.).
- You are welcome to include a brief bio or something about yourself in your cover note on Submittable, which will only be made accessible to the editorial panel after the group of Semi-Finalist and Finalist manuscripts has been chosen.
- Include the following in your upload document: a description or synopsis of your work, title page, table of contents, if appropriate, an acknowledgments page. (If the manuscript contains individual stories or poems that have been previously published online or in print, note previously published work on the acknowledgments page with the publication credits.)
- The manuscript must be previously unpublished as a collection (including publication with a press, self-publication, online/digital publication, and publication in a small, limited-edition print run).
- Simultaneous submissions are acceptable and encouraged, but please notify us by withdrawing your manuscript on Submittable immediately if it is accepted for publication elsewhere. Do not email us a withdrawal.
- Multiple submissions are permitted if submitted separately, each with a submission fee.
- Collaborative collections are welcome.
- We cannot accept translations.
- US-based submitters have the option to purchase past chapbooks from Submittable with free shipping. Visit our online shop here for items not available on Submittable.
- While authors from around the globe may submit to the Digging Press Chapbook Competition, international submitters who wish to make an additional purchase must do so via our online shop and pay additional shipping charges. Visit our online shop here.
All submissions are read, reviewed, and considered by Gessy Alvarez, editor of the Digging Press Chapbook Series. If you have any questions or concerns, leave a comment at our Chapbook page here. We'll respond within 24 hours.
Accepted works will be promoted in our online journal, and on our Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts. With permission from our contributors, we may include accepted works in promotional material for Digging Through The Fat and Digging Press, LLC.
-- Digging Press Team