2021/2022 Submission Periods
Digging Press Chapbook Prize: July 1 – October 15; $12 reading fee
Artist Spotlight: September 15 - October 15, 2021 (free)
Poetry: November 1 - November 30, 2021 (free); December 1, 2021 - January 30, 2022; $3.50 fee; Contributors receive $10 per poem selected or the latest forthcoming Poetry Series publication.
Community/Fundraiser: December 1, 2021 - February 28, 2022; $5 Donation
Digging Press LLC is an independent publisher. We publish the literary and arts journal, Digging Through The Fat, and a chapbook series. We also produce a podcast and host a reading series. As an organization for cultural omnivores, we aim to nurture experimentation in the arts and encourage broad-mindedness and cultural inclusion.
We shall do our best to respond to submitters within three-four months, but in some cases, this period may be longer. If you have not received a response from us within 120 days, please send an email inquiry to email@example.com. Please do not contact our editors or staff readers directly about the status of your submission.
Simultaneous submissions are accepted as long as they are indicated as such and the submission is withdrawn from Submittable immediately upon acceptance elsewhere.
Upon acceptance, creators are asked to complete a publication agreement prior to publication. The use of the Work by Digging Through The Fat (Digging Press, LLC) entails the assignment of First North American Serial Rights, for publication in the English language anywhere in North America. It is understood and agreed that the Publisher may use this Work only in the above-mentioned magazine. Publisher may also reprint the Work one additional time as part of a collection or anthology with the Creator’s consent.
For the journal, the length of time between acceptance and publication can be one to three months. For chapbooks, the length of time between acceptance and publication can be one year.
We welcome submissions from ALL. We especially want to encourage more submissions from women and non-binary writers, writers of color, and the LGBTQIA community. Help Digging Through The Fat's community grow in diversity and beauty!
Email submissions are not acceptable.
- Our editor's interview with Six Questions For...here.
- Editorial Policy
- More about our Chapbook Prize
Given our seasonal genre format, we only accept a small percentage of the submissions received. We recommend contributors promote published work on their social media accounts. We promote all publications on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. We also feature publications in our monthly newsletter.
Please do not assume that a decline from us means your work is not valid in any way. We simply are unable to accommodate everyone. Our publication decisions are bittersweet. We have to decline a great number of good folks in order to give a few more time to gain a larger audience.
Please note: we offer free U.S.-only shipping with chapbook purchases through Submittable. International orders can only be fulfilled at our shop.
The Digging Press Chapbook Competition is open for submissions once (or twice) a year for fiction, poetry, or hybrid (multi-genre) manuscripts. We seek innovative manuscripts that are inventively personal and richly imagined. We are inspired by the works of Clarice Lispector, Augusto Monterroso, Lynne Tillman, Óscar Esquivias, Giannina Braschi, Italo Calvino, Lydia Davis, Zakaria Tamer, Gloria Evangelina Anzaldúa, Sonia Sanchez, Ocean Vuong, Sam Sax, Claudia Rankine, Eileen Myles...
We are passionate about presenting a unique book design and offering editorial support. We aim to produce beautiful and artistic books. Selected manuscripts have a small print-run (100 copies), and authors receive 20 copies plus a $250 payment. Authors retain all rights to their material within the author's chapbook.
2020: Dimitri Reyes (forthcoming July 2021). View results.
2021: Marie Baléo (forthcoming Summer 2022). View results.
2022: TBA (forthcoming Summer 2023)
Open Submission Period:
July 1 – October 15
The submission/reading fee is $12 per submission. Please note that fees offset the cost of publishing and promoting the winning chapbook. A small portion also helps cover our Submittable hosting fees. We also rely on donations and purchases to support our chapbook series. If you would like to donate $12 to cover the cost of a fellow writer, Donate Here to our Digging Press Fund.
The 2022 Digging Press Chapbook Award is open to any writer/poet writing in English.
Our chapbooks are printed softcover books with a trim size of 4.25" wide x 6.75" high. Each book page fits approximately 225-230 words; each line fits approximately 45-48 characters across, including spaces, with 26-28 lines to a page. This format is non-negotiable.
We only accept manuscripts between 24 and 40 pages via Submittable. Please read the following carefully:
- Respect our blind submission policy. The manuscript must be free of any identity-revealing information, including in the name of your file or in the “title” field in Submittable. Submissions that do not respect this policy will be automatically declined.
- Page limit: 24 to 40 pages. Please use a readable font in 12-point. Times New Roman or its equivalent is recommended. Manuscripts should be paginated (and double-spaced for fiction), not including front and back matter (table of contents, title page, etc.).
- You are welcome to include a brief bio or something about yourself in your cover note on Submittable, which will only be made accessible to the editorial panel after the group of Semi-Finalist and Finalist manuscripts has been chosen.
- Include the following in your upload document: a description or synopsis of your work, title page, table of contents, if appropriate, an acknowledgments page. (If the manuscript contains individual stories or poems that have been previously published online or in print, note previously published work on the acknowledgments page with the publication credits.)
- The manuscript must be previously unpublished as a collection (including publication with a press, self-publication, online/digital publication, and publication in a small, limited-edition print run).
- Simultaneous submissions are permissible, but entrants are asked to notify Digging Press by withdrawing your manuscript in Submittable immediately if it is accepted for publication elsewhere. Do not email us a withdrawal.-
- Entries must be accompanied by a $12.00 entry fee. Entrants may submit multiple manuscripts, but must pay a $12.00 entry fee for each manuscript submitted.
- Collaborative collections are welcome.
- We cannot accept translations.
- US-based submitters have the option to purchase past chapbooks from Submittable with free shipping. Visit our online shop here for items not available on Submittable.
- While authors from around the globe may submit to the Digging Press Chapbook Competition, international submitters who wish to make an additional purchase must do so via our online shop and pay additional shipping charges. Visit our online shop here.
All submissions are read, reviewed, and considered by Gessy Alvarez, editor of the Digging Press Chapbook Series. If you have any questions or concerns, leave a comment at our Chapbook page here. We'll respond within 24 hours.
All selected submissions are read, reviewed, and considered by final judge, Gessy Alvarez, editor of the Digging Press Chapbook Series.
In the event that the final judge chooses no manuscript for publication, all contest fees will be returned.
Final notification of the contest winner, finalists, and semi-finalists will be provided by e-mail to all contest entrants by February/March 2022.
With permission from our contributors, we may include accepted works in promotional material for Digging Through The Fat and Digging Press, LLC.
-- Digging Press Team